A Standardized Patient is a trained individual who can accurately and consistently portray the history, personality, physical findings, emotional structure and response pattern of an actual patient, family member, health care provider, or needed role at a particular point in time. A Standardized Patient must be able to provide individualized feedback on interpersonal and clinical skills to a GCU Faculty member.
Training will be provided based on what examinations are to occur. Standardized patients must pass the required patient competencies before being deployed as a standardized patient.
Academic Partner: Grand Canyon University, Accelerated BSN
Site Location: 3500 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson AZ
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Portray all aspects of the patient scenario, including history of current problem, affect/behavior and physical findings in a standardized, accurate, and reliable manner.
- Provide written and face-to-face verbal feedback to the supervising faculty member
- Accept ongoing feedback and incorporate that feedback into case simulation
- Respond to e-mails in a timely fashion
- Be on time and keep scheduled appointments
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work well with a variety of people
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a variety of people
- Ability to recall an encounter accurately for the completion of checklists and written materials during practice sessions and assessment
- Ability to maintain focus during the scheduled exam days
- Lack of bias towards the healthcare system
- Punctuality and reliability in attendance
- Capacity for flexibility and adaptability during the exam day; multiple patient scenarios may be portrayed during a scheduled exam day.
- Comfort with their own body and examinations by healthcare professionals
- Basic computer skills for email communication, document printing, and checklist documentation
- Must be willing to agree to a flexible schedule of scheduled appointments, some may require evening appointments.
- Must be able to travel to scheduled facility reliably
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check.
- Must pass a pre-health physical exam.