Marketing Photographer - Indianapolis, IN
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Marketing Photographer for our Indianapolis, IN site. The selected candidate will work under general direction, serve as the university/staff photographer focused on live action sports and photojournalism marketing and public relations initiatives in support of a wide range of athletic, university news for print and web communications efforts and is responsible for producing a wide variety of high-quality images, portraits, limited studio headshot, and event images for the university’s marketing channels including, social, web sites and various external and internal advertisements and publications.
Please Note: *You must submit a link or attachment to an online portfolio in order to be considered.
This position will be based in Indianapolis, IN.
- Provides photographic services to all requesting departments of the University which may occur on-location, off-site or in studio; produces images in a wide variety of disciplines to support the University’s promotional, marketing, public relations, athletics, communications and student activities.
- Provides direction, work assignments and coaching to less experienced employees and/or student workers.
- Attends and participates in project goal setting, creative planning meetings and project-related coordination meetings to understand the purpose, concept and requirements of upcoming photo shoots.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders to create shot-lists and other strategies for upcoming photo shoots to achieve the necessary quality.
- Inspects locations and determines best angles, positioning of subjects, lighting, backgrounds.
- Arranges shooting schedules, schedules staff, freelance photographers and other resources, sets up appropriate equipment for the type and subject of the photo shoot and ensure project timelines are met. Manages any vendor contracts, such as equipment rental vendors.
- Takes multiple photographs as part of each assignment to provide editors, writers and others with options, and enhancing the quality of digital images as appropriate to prepare them for publication.
- Utilizes image asset database, tags images correctly for search-ability to enable all users to find images to meet their needs.
- Review relevant photo shoot expenditures with management for approval.
- Conducts post-production image editing, and prepares files for cataloging.
- Maintains accurate logs of sites and subjects photographed; establishes and maintains archives.
- Works within online request form and scheduling system for photography shoots; manages the photo requests, project lists and calendar for the photography needs of the company in a timely manner.
- Manages list of freelance photographers with various levels of expertise when outsourcing is necessary.
- May need to manage production assistants and crew on various shoots while maintaining focus on executing shoots.
- Stays current with the latest technologies in photography and editing software in order to suggest and provide expert advice with regard to new hardware and software acquisition.
- Travels locally, out of town, out of state which may require overnight stays.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Photography, Photojournalism, Fine Arts or a related area preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience doing various types of photography with both natural and studio lighting, environmental and architectural, candids, images of objects, on-location, crow shots, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise in producing quality digital photography for a wide range of subjects and live events.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with Photoshop software suite or similar and editing software. Proficiency with Adobe is helpful but not required.
- Proficient with MAC OSX platform with basic computer skills with MS Office, Internet, Web Browsers, email, etc.
- Knowledgeable of conventional photo developing techniques and photofinishing.
- Must be physically able to capture shots which may involve climbing to reach heights and/or moving body in laying or bending positions; all requiring mental and physical reflexes to capture moving and fluctuating images.
- Ability to work with natural, strobe flash and studio lighting to produce high-quality images that require minimal editing.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and/or rejection of photos with a positive attitude.
- Outstanding and positive interpersonal and communications skills in order to work collaboratively, harmoniously and professionally with a wide variety of people, staff, vendors, contract staff and other external contacts.
- Must be comfortable working with and/or directing high-profile subjects.
- As an ambassador of the University, must reflect and portray the University’s image and culture.
- Ability to deal with the unexpected in a calm and professional manner, including when working conditions and lighting levels are less than ideal and limited time is available.
- Must be able to cope with changing priorities effectively.
- Resourceful with excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Reliable transportation in order to drive to and from various off-site locations.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule which includes nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to develop graphic artwork in a variety of media to support publication requirements is helpful, but not required.
- You must submit a link or attachment to an online portfolio in order to be considered.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.