3D Team Lead- Hybrid
The 3D Team Lead will be part of the Product Development team at Orbis Education which develops best-in-class interactive online learning objects as well as interactive Extended Reality (XR) simulations and applications for multiple platforms. The3D Team Lead should be highly motivated and comfortable instructing and performing any step of the 3D Production Pipeline. The 3D Team Lead should be able to scope and plan projects, maintain and refine processes, and be comfortable with current technologies in the development of assets for a variety of media, including XR applications.
Manage assigned 3D Generalist staff Create clean, high quality and efficient 3D characters, medical devices, props, and sets for renderings as well as use in Extended Reality applications 3D animation Convert 3D assets between multiple formats for use in various applications
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for leading and developing the 3D Team as well as creating 3D assets. This includes but is not limited to the following areas:
Manage assigned 3D Generalist staff
- Accomplishes department objectives by managing staff; planning and evaluating department activities.
- Leverage and expand the talent of 3D team.
- Develop growth opportunities for the 3D team.
- Maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Establish process milestones and workflow guidelines while promoting healthy collaboration between the 3D Team and the other Product Development teams, Instructional Design Team, and subject matter experts.
- Build and facilitate cross-channel communication with other teams in a hybrid environment
- Work in collaboration with the team to ensure results are delivered within the allocated timeframe
- Manage 3D projects and delegate tasks to ensures quality standards and deadlines are met
- Manage, and mentor university student interns on cross discipline projects
- Complete all management duties and tasks for assigned staff members
- Including, but not limited to, staffing and hiring decisions, time and attendance, reimbursement requests, reviews, and communication
- Ensure staff completes proper documentation and tracking
- Drives initiatives to improve the processes and the team policies.
Create and edit clean, high quality and efficient characters, medical devices, props, and sets for renderings as well as use in Extended Reality applications
- Experience creating high quality visuals for real-time, gaming, AR/VR/MR
- Create and edit high quality 3D meshes of various objects (props, medical devices, clothing and accessories)
- Create and edit UV layouts (mapping UV texture coordinates)
- Create and edit materials/shaders
- Create and edit model rigging
- Character and object animation and motion capture
- Dynamic simulations and particle systems
- Character lip syncing
Convert 3D assets between multiple formats for use in various applications
- Convert, refine, and optimize 3D models for target application/use
- Convert, refine, and optimize materials/shaders for the target render engine
- Convert, refine, and optimize 3D motion data for target application/use
Complete Special Projects as Assigned by Leadership Team
- 5+ years of Maya experience
- Experience in the steps of the 3D Production Pipeline including creation and optimization for gaming and Extended Reality applications
- Experience integrating 3D characters, animations, and assets in Unity
- Exceptional attention to detail and an eye for quality
- Excellent knowledge of modeling, uv layout, and texturing
- Excellent knowledge of weight maps and blend shapes
- Eagerness to learn new things and become better as an artist
- Maintain awareness of technology/tools advancements, and apply them to everyday work
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on multiple projects of varying complexity and deadlines
- Team oriented, with a proven ability to influence and build strong working relations within an organization and work cross-functionally.
- Strong troubleshooting skillset
- Must be technologically independent and able to work as part of a hybrid team.
- Self-motivated with the ability to track, prioritize, and follow up on multiple projects
- Strong analytical skills and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to assume additional responsibilities as required
- Preferred Experience:
- 2+ years managing team of 3D artists
- 5+ years of experience in a 3D Generalist role.
- Character rigging
- Wardrobe creation, rigging, weight mapping, and soft cloth mapping
- Motion capture and editing
- Animation skills: character and object animation, human ik, and lip sync experience
- Experience with Maya, Substance Designer, and Reallusion’s iClone, 3DXchange, and Character Creator
- 3D model and animation optimization for game engines and AR/VR/MR use
- Education and Certification:
- Art degree and/or equivalent work experience/portfolio with a strong foundation in traditional arts (figure drawing, composition, color theory, etc)
- 3+ years of work experience in a related game, simulation, application development position
- Please Provide:
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio of their work. Please include a link to your online portfolio with detailed breakdown of your contributions (for team projects) to be considered for this position